Friday 26 October 2012

Easy Chocolate Mousse

Alright so it's been hectic as all hell these last couple of weeks. But all this lack of free time is paying off - I got a new job at the school, I got an 88.3% on my Psych midterm exam, and I've been getting 80-90%s on everything else so far.

BUT I have a tiny break before my next midterm, so this weekend I'm going to make a great effort to put up 3 recipes. Today is something super easy. I bring you low-carb chocolate mousse. I would also like to point out that recipe calculators, especially MFP's (which is what I use most often), count sweeteners on a 1:1 ratio (being 1 tsp: 1g carb). I find that this is good and bad - The way I see it, better safe than sorry when it comes to how many carbs you have, so if you're counting a bit high it's better than counting a bit low. But it also gets discouraging when you are trying to cook and bake low-carb. Not all sweeteners are necessarily 1:1. I don't know them all so I won't go into detail. Oh and on a similar note, most heavy creams aren't 1:1 either, but the one I use lists 1 tablespoon as 1 carb. Just an FYI.

Anyway, here you go!

Serving Size: 2 (1/2 cup each) or 4 (1/4 cup each)
Nutritional Information: (based on 4 servings) 127 cals, 6g of carbs and 2g of fiber (4g net carbs), 11g of fat, 1g of protein.

Prep. Time: 5 minutes

Your Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of whipping cream
  • choice sweetener to taste (I used 1/4 cup of splenda this time)
  • 3 tablespoons of cocoa, unsweetened
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • cinnamon to taste

P.S. If you need to make more than 4 servings, keep in mind that whatever amount of cream you use will basically double once whipped. Adjust the other ingredients accordingly as well.

Your Tools:

  • A hand or stand mixer & mixing bowl
  • Measuring cups/spoons
  • dessert dishes

The Directions:

I don't have a bunch of pictures for this one because there's not a whole lot to it. This is almost the same way you would make whipped cream (after all, what is chocolate mousse anyway?)

Step 1 -
In your mixing bowl, pour in the wet ingredients and mix on a low-medium setting for about 30-45 seconds. 
Step 2 -
While continuing to whip your wet ingredients, steadily add your dry ingredients into the mixture. Adding the ingredients slowly will let it mix better than if you were to just dump the ingredients in all at once.
Once your ingredients are all added, you can increase the speed to medium or medium-high (I always end up at 5 out of 8 on my mixer). If your mixer has a pulse option you can occasionally use that if you wish. Make sure you use a spatula to get around the edges of the bowl so everything is mixed together nicely.
You'll want your mousse to have a thicker consistency than the whipped cream you'd top your pumpkin pie with. I suppose you could call the consistency "stiff". You can test this by turning off your mixer and lifting it out of the mousse. If the mousse slips right off the beaters or doesn't form a little peak in the bowl where you lifted, it is probably not done. If, however, your mousse does peak a little and doesn't fall off the beater, move on to step 3. 
Step 3 -
When I make this for the S.O. and I, don't bother with nice serving dishes. The mousse goes straight into little glass storage containers. If you are having guests over, though, I'd suggest putting these into a nice dessert bowl or even a martini glass. Top the mousse with a pinch of cinnamon or a couple dark chocolate chips and enjoy.
Finished Product


xo, Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful!! The cinnamon was a nice detail, loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen....thanks so much for the recipe...I wanted to find one that didn't include all that whey protein and stuff I don't have in the kitchen every day ....this one will work fine .............and good luck in school...my daughter is a PhD of psych............she is a school district psych in AZ...and worked very hard and long to get there.........so know what you are going through.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great chocolate recipe. I made one similar just last night! But used a can of coconut milk, refrigerated for a couple of hours, 3 heaping tablespoons of cocoa, 6 drops of liquid sucralose. It's one of my major chocolate recipes.

    Will be trying yours soon! Sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one. I use Keto diet to cut down on fat every 3 months or so, I always look forward to this, However I leave mine about custard consistency, delicious.

    ReplyDelete