Tuesday 9 September 2014

Loaded Portobello Mushrooms

Since I moved out of my mum's house and my SO and I moved into our own place, my mum and I have gone grocery shopping every Sunday (except in special circumstances). We consider it quality mother-daughter time. We get to catch up about our previous week, gossip a little bit, and discuss food - something we both love! Last Sunday while driving around we spent a considerable amount of time figuring out what we would have for our respective dinners, since neither of us had bothered to plan anything.

After inviting myself and the SO over to my mum's for dinner, I wandered around the grocery store for a bit. As I picked up green peppers I thought to myself "what am I going to do with these? I really should have planned ahead... Oh! Stuffed peppers! I haven't had those in forever." Of course, I had invited myself to my mum's so I suggested stuffed peppers. She agreed. Then I saw portobello mushroom caps! Remembering pictures of recipes I've never tried, I asked my mum if she would make some so I would know if I liked them. Neither my mother or I particularly enjoy mushrooms, however, so at least if I didn't like them, both my step-father and my brother do. However, given that neither of us typically cook with mushrooms, we had no idea what to do with them. All I could think was cheese and bacon, because when is cheese and bacon not a good idea? That's how I got the idea of loaded portobello mushrooms (like loaded baked potatoes... without the potatoes!).


I KNOW. What a glorious idea. Put the cheese and bacon in the mushroom. Delicious. So, of course, after tasting the delicious creation at my mum's place I had to make it myself at home. Fortunately for me, this is one meal the SO refuses to try (I push him pretty far with all the veggies), so more for me!

This is a super simple, super quick, super delicious recipe. I found the mushroom to be incredibly flavourful, so with all the cheese, bacon, etc, I didn't feel it was necessary to spice this up.

Ingredients

I only cooked 2 caps this time, but I'm going to include ingredients for 4 servings.

  • 4 portobello mushroom caps
  • 6 slices of bacon
  • 120g choice cheese (I used marble), shredded
  • 1/4 c green onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c sour cream (I used 14%)
Nutritional information, per serving (4): 371 cals, 4g net carbs (5g carbs, 1g fiber), 35g fat, 15g protein
Nutritional information, whole batch: 1484 cals, 17g net carbs (21g carbs, 4g fiber), 138g fat, 61g protein


Ingredients
Calories
Net Carbs (g)
Carbs (g)
Fiber (g)
Fat (g)
Protein (g)
4 portobello caps (~50g each)
44 5 8 3 8 4
6 slices of thick cut bacon
750 3 3 0 72 24
120g marble cheese
480 0 0 0 40 28
1/4 c green onion
10 1 2 1 0 1
1/2 c 14% sour cream
200 8 8 0 18 4

If there are other ingredients you're going to put in your loaded potato portobello mushrooms, let me know!

Directions
First, preheat your oven to 400F. Make bacon bits however you normally make them. Chop green onion until you have about 1/4 cup. Shred whatever type of cheese you plan on using and measure out 120g. 
Remove the stem and gills from the mushroom caps, and even scoop out a little of the flesh if you desire. We're making room for cheese and bacon, after all. My caps ended up being about 50g each after this process.
Put about 30g of cheese in each cap. Top with bacon bits (I used about 1.5 slices per cap) and ~1 tbsp of green onion. 
Place your caps on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until all the cheese is deliciously gooey. Remove, top each with 2 tbsp of sour cream, and stuff them in your face!

This is the delicious meal I had at my mum's! Check out all that cheese. LOOK AT IT.
Stuff all the food!
What do you do with your mushrooms?

xo, Jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment