Saturday 2 August 2014

Almond Crust

I use almond crust a lot in my dessert recipes (pies, dessert bars, etc.), so I'm posting up the recipe for easy reference in the future. This is a pretty versatile crust and could be used unsweetened for breakfast or dinner recipes. This recipe is enough for one 9 inch springform pan or pie plate, or a 9x5 inch brownie pan, for example.


Check out some of my recipes that use this crust: Peanut Butter Fudge Bars, Pumpkin Pie, Whipped Jell-O Pie, and Cheesecake Bars, to name a few.





Ingredients:

Almond Crust

  • 1 cup almond flour/ground almonds
  • 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I use Splenda)
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Almond+ Crust

Sometimes I want a little more than almond in the crust, so here is a recipe to show how easy it is to change the make up of the crust.

  • 3/4 cup almond flour/ground almonds
  • 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (I use Splenda)
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup other filler (e.g: crushed pecans/walnuts/etc., unsweetened shredded coconut, flaxmeal, and so on)
Tools:

  • A fork and mixing bowl
  • A baking pan

Directions:
Melt the butter. Mix the dry ingredients and add butter. Spread your dough in whatever pan you're using (e.g. a springform pan, brownie tin, and so on).

You do not have to bake your crust before using it. Usually, if I plan on baking my entire dish for a lengthy period (e.g. pumpkin pie) I simply refrigerate the crust until I'm ready to use it. If the dish is not being baked (e.g. whipped jell-o pie), bake the crust. On t he other hand, I always bake the crust first if I'm baking cheesecake. If you decide to bake the crust, do it for about 10 minutes at 350F or until lightly browned. Regardless of whether you bake the crust or not, always cool it in the fridge for about 30 minutes before using it!


xo,
Jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment