Thursday 21 August 2014

Cheesy Sloppy Joe Chicken

I miss the meals my mum makes, especially my favourite comfort foods like chili, brownies, loaded garlic toast, and sloppy joes. She'd buy plain hamburger buns, make a super saucy meat and bean mixture, line some buns with cheese, and load up my plate. Mmmm. I could eat leftover sloppy joe meat for days. I've made sloppy joes before doing keto, using a similar recipe to what I will be posting here, and slapping the meat on these egg buns. It tastes close to what my mum used to make, minus all the beans.

I love chicken but I want to mix things up now and then so we don't get bored of it, and I was thinking, what should I stuff these breasts with? Ham and cheese? Nah, been there, done that. Pizza? Again, need something newish... Ground beef? That could be awesome. Plain ground beef? Bleh... boring! Taco meat? Spaghetti style sauce? Chili? Sloppy Joe meat?! YES. Sloppy Joe meat! So, I bring you, chicken breasts stuffed with sloppy ground beef and cheese, crusted with more cheese. Please enjoy.

If these weren't so freakin' hot I would have eaten it like a burger!
SERIOUSLY STUFFED!

Servings: 4
Nutritional Info (I didn't weigh the meat so these values are estimates at best):
Total:1,128 cals11g carbs1g fiber58g fat129g protein
Per Serving:282 cals3g carbs0g fiber15g fat32g protein
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Your Ingredients:

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 lb ground beef (I used lean this time because it was on sale. For higher fat content, use medium)
  • 80g (~1/4c) shredded cheese (I used mozza)
  • 2 tbsp sugar free ketchup (I used this)
  • 2 tbsp tomato sauce (I went with Classico Tomato & Basil)
  • 1/2 tbsp hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot Sauce is my choice)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 c grated parmesan cheese (optional)
  • 1-2 tsp garlic salt (optional)

Your Tools:

  • a 1.5 quart or 3 quart sauce pan
  • a baking dish
  • a colander

The Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375-400F. Put your ground beef with about 1/4 cup-1/2 cup of water in your sauce pan and cook on medium-low. 
this has already been cooking for a few minutes... duh!
While your beef cooks, butterfly your chicken breasts. That is, slice your chicken breasts almost completely in half so they open like a book and look like messy hearts! Also press the meat out so your breasts are of even thickness. I actually used a meat tenderizer for funsies. If you're not sure how to do that, this video is pretty handy. 
these are particularly ugly :( the other two looked like adorable hearts but the SO was taking the pictures... *cough* 
Sprinkle some shredded cheese on all 4 chicken breasts. Save a bit for garnish.
p.s. I got this kickass cutting board at Costco. The silicone strips keep the board from sliding!
Now let's finish the sloppy joe meat. Strain the meat and put it back in the sauce pan on low heat. Add ketchup, tomato sauce, hot sauce, and 1 tsp garlic. Stir until mixed thoroughly. Add back a tbsp at a time of hot water if you'd like a saucier texture. 
Divide the beef mixture among your cheesy chicken tits. Spread the meat around or just smack it in the middle.  
Fold your chicken tits closed. Be careful not to make a mess. Sprinkle the remaining mozza cheese on the chicken breasts, as well as one tbsp of parmesan cheese and some garlic salt if desired. Spray with a cooking oil (I used olive oil) or carefully brush with melted butter. The video I linked above suggests tying the breasts closed. I don't think that is entirely necessary, but go ahead if you want to feel fancy!
Pop the cheesy sloppy joe chicken breasts in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes! I cooked mine at 400F for 40 minutes. I checked them at 30 minutes and they were still slightly pink.
Enjoy!

xo,
Jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment