Tuesday 5 August 2014

Egg Waffles

A couple of breakfast things I really miss are pancakes and waffles. After plenty of consideration I have learned that it isn't the cakey parts I miss, but all the different toppings to put on them! I had to figure out something... I've tried various keto crepe recipes and particularly enjoyed ones with cream cheese. However, I didn't like making them. I always got frustrated at how easily they broke when I tried to do anything with them. I started experimenting and when I came up short I thought "why do I have to use flour or cheese?"...

Bust out your waffle makers, friends (alternatively, just make... crepecakes. Not thin enough to be a crepe but not thick enough to be a pancake). I've been making waffles like this for a long time now but I, again, never got around to posting it... until  now! This recipe is a wonderful semi-sweet breakfast treat to use as a base for a variety of toppings. Whipped cream. Fresh fruit. Peanut butter. Sugar-free jam or syrup... you get the idea. I usually opt for 1/2 a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of sugar-free syrup. When the SO is feeling adventurous he opts for peanut butter, dark chocolate chips, sugar-free syrup, and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Monday, August 4, 2014 
This morning breakfast consisted of chocolate egg waffles topped with some sugar-free syrup, accompanied by a side of reduced salt bacon (not because I am against salt. I just prefer my bacon less salty). Oh yeah, and freshly brewed coffee (1 tbsp hwc, 2 tsp of splenda, in a pretty sweet stein), a glass of water, and a multivitamin! I'm glad I decided to go back to early morning breakfasts, because I sure do feel productive today. All told, this special breakfast (everything included) was a little heavy on calories and carbs, but not so much that the rest of my day is ruined. Lunch will be a salad with chicken, and (ended up not eating lunch. drank water instead) tonight we're doing appetizers and a movie Fullmetal Alchemist for at-home date night. NICE.
BreakfastCaloriesCarbsFiberFatProtein
Egg Waffles, 2 serving(s)243602013
Maple Leaf Prime - Reduced Salt Bacon, 3 slices uncooked260102410
Mrs. Buttersworth - Sugar Free Syrup, 1/8 cup (60mL)104000
Foldgers - Coffee, 8 oz.00000
Splenda (Canada) - Granulated Sugar Substitute, 2 tsp01000
Neilson - Cream, Whipping, 35%, 15 ml (1 tbsp)501050
Totals5631304923
Chocolate egg waffles with two tablespoons of sugar-free syrup and a side of bacon.
These were a little softer than I normally make them (you can tell by the edges)
---

Servings: 4 servings (my waffle maker makes two large waffles, which I consider to be two servings each)

Time: 10-15 minutes

Nutritional info (per 1 serving): 122 cals, 3g net carbs (3g carbs, 0g fiber), 10g fat, 7g protein

Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 tbsp of heavy whipping cream
  • 2-4 tbsp of sweetener (depending on how sweet you want them. I usually use 2 tbsp)
  • 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder or 1/2-1 tbsp cinnamon [optional]
Tools
  • electric whisk or stand mixer (I use a Cuisinart electric stick blender/whisk)
  • a mixing bowl
  • a waffle maker or a small frying pan (for crepecakes)
Directions
Preheat and grease your waffle maker. Beat/whisk eggs, cream, sweetener, cocoa/cinnamon until it is all frothy and thoroughly combined.
Whisk those eggs!
I make my waffles in layers. I do one layer as pictured below and let it cook for a few minutes, then add another layer. Don't let the first layer cook to dry and crisp, you want the next layer to bind to the previous. 
First layer
Let your waffle maker cook these up until you are satisfied with them. The chocolate egg waffles (pictured at the beginning of the blog) were a little more moist than usual. The waffles pictured below are my preference; firm and crispy on the outside but soft and fluffy on the inside.
Get creative with your waffle toppings and enjoy! Try rolling bacon, a bit of peanut butter, and a bit of sugar-free syrup in your waffles. YUM! 
Plain egg waffles. Slightly crispy outside, fluffy and soft inside.
If you're looking to make crepes/pancakes instead of waffles, just heat up your frying pan and add some butter. Then poor a bit of the batter into the pan and cook as you would a pancake. Fair warning: the texture of this recipe as a pancake is much different than as a waffle. see this post: Egg Pancrepes/Crepecakes
xo, Jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment